A Healthier Happier Me

Hey there!

Let’s delve into the 80/20 rule—an approach that could revolutionize your eating habits if you’re seeking a balanced dietary plan. But hold up, before you brush it off as just another health trend, let’s unpack what this rule is really about. It’s not about rigid diets; it’s about embracing life’s flavors while giving your body the love it deserves.

The 80/20 Rule is a common method used by a lot of healthy people for a balanced diet. Simply put, 80% of your foods are nutrient dense and the other 20% can be whatever you choose. 

Picture this: 80% of your meals are a colorful feast of nutrient-packed wonders—think vibrant veggies, lean proteins, wholesome grains, and those oh-so-good-for-you fats. Now, what about the remaining 20%? That’s your golden ticket to indulge in the foods that make your taste buds dance—whether it’s a luscious slice of cake, a cheesy delight, or your go-to comfort food.

Here’s a peek at what that 80% looks like:

Veggies and Fruits: Load up on a rainbow of colorful fruits and veggies to snag a variety of essential nutrients.

Protein: Opt for lean protein sources to keep your body fueled and strong. Don’t forget that you can also sprinkle in some plant-based powerhouses like beans or tofu for a delicious twist.

Grains: Swap out refined grains for whole grains whenever you can. And hey, why not toss some quinoa into your white rice for an extra boost of goodness?

Dairy: Opting for fat-free or low-fat dairy products can help reduce saturated fat intake while still providing essential nutrients like calcium and vitamin D.

Healthy Fats: Using heart-healthy oils like olive or avocado oil adds beneficial fats to meals. Nuts and seeds are also excellent sources of healthy fats and provide satiety when consumed in moderation.

What we are saying is that crash diets are not the vibe we’re going for. We’re all about finding sustainable, long-term lifestyle changes that stick. It’s not about getting healthy for a few weeks or months—it’s about staying healthy for life. So, let’s roll up our sleeves and figure out what works for you, because, darling, you deserve a lifetime of health and happiness. 

Oh, and researchers say that having support from friends or family helps with sticking to this rule. So, team up with a buddy and keep each other motivated! Check in with us on social media to let us know how your 80/20 journey is going!


Lemstra, M., Bird, Y., Nwankwo, C., Rogers, M., & Moraros, J. (2016). Weight loss intervention adherence and factors promoting adherence: A meta-analysis. Patient Preference and Adherence10, 1547-1559. https://doi.org/10.2147/PPA.S103649


USDA (n.d.). Dietary Guidelines. Https://www.Dietaryguidelines.gov/Resources/2020-2025-Dietary-Guidelines-Online-Materials. https://www.dietaryguidelines.gov/sites/default/files/2021-03/Dietary_Guidelines_for_Americans-2020-2025.pdf

Attribution: © Alex Haney , Unsplash

Scroll to Top